Five Drain Repair Secrets Every Homeowner Needs To Know
Homeowners, as a whole, tend to operate on a schedule that fits their needs regardless if it pertains to work or play. There’s a pretty good chance that the notion of drain repair rarely has any place in that schedule, so it tends to be relegated to a low-priority place. This, however, can be a major issue as time goes on. Well, if you’re actually failing to act on some red flags, time may have run out.
Home repair experts in the industry understand that repairs aren’t fun to think about because it means that something is going wrong somewhere and will cost money to fix. This means time, money, and effort given to less awesome things in life. The thing is, though, that if you have made the investment to own a home, part of your responsibility is making sure you’re on top of as much as you can be, and drain repair needs to be up there in terms of importance.
There is no proverbial manual to knowing all that you can about drain repair. Luckily, home maintenance experts, professional plumbers, and general contractors seem to agree that there are certain ‘secrets’ that should be commonplace knowledge for all homeowners.
Rather than have you sift through numerous pages of web search results, here are five drain repair secrets all homeowners need to know:
1. Don’t Ignore Slow Drains – We’ve all faced it when we shave or brush our teeth, right? All of a sudden, the water is going down the drain a little slower than before. This may not seem like much, but it can indicate that there is a blockage of some kind in your plumbing. Monitor it & see how often it’s happening, and if you notice that it is a regular occurrence, it’s time to address it.
2. Recurring Clogs Are A Problem – Maybe you one sink drain or a shower drain that keeps getting clogged. All you have to know is that your plumbing should be running without interruptions in flow. This is certainly a sign of bigger problems in the plumbing system.
3. Multiple Clogged Drains At Once – If you’ve not received the message yet, here’s your massive red flag! If you have multiple drains across your plumbing system experiencing slow flow or clogs at the same time, there is something major going on. This is beyond the scope of a DIY approach with a plunger or an auger.
4. Bad Odor – Another sure sign your drains need attention is the presence of a bad odor. If sewage gases aren’t able to properly drain, then you only imagine the issues everything else going down the drain are having.
5. Don’t Force Things – It may be a little deflating to think that once drains face issues like those noted above, it means that you as the homeowner don’t have a lot to offer. Rather than be discouraged, you need to just understand that there is a level of expertise that is needed with the right tools to make sure that your drains can be addressed properly but also that no damage takes place. Any significant damage to your drains, pipes, and main sewer line may cause major issues. Having a professional step in isn’t admitting defeat – it’s being smart.
Drain repair isn’t glamorous, but it is a part of life. With the right mindset, a fresh set of eyes, some industry secrets in tow, and a dependable plumber’s contact info in hand, you’ll have something truly invaluable at hand – peace of mind.